Monday, April 16, 2007

Global Green Project Approved

Ever since we started telling folks that we're moving to Holy Cross (after the part where I explain that yes, it's in the Lower Ninth Ward), I've mentioned Global Green's plans for a mixed-income, sustainable-living (energy? materials? green-stuff?) housing and community development near the river. Brad Pitt is spearheading the project, so of course there's that... But the Big Deal is the attention the development will bring to the neighborhood. So many people dismiss the idea of developing on The Other Side of the Industrial Canal that it helps to have a project like Global Green's to force the rest of the naysayers to recognize.

I've been researching this project for a while now, in selfish terms, I must admit, because I wanted to know what kind of an impact it would have on the area. I emailed the local director (Brad Pitt is the face, but of course he's not on the ground) about our moving to the area and wanting to know more--especially because the groundbreaking has perpetually been getting pushed back. He sent me a vague form-email saying "thanks for your interest in New Orleans!" Oh-kaaaayy... No date set.

Well, in the Metro section of today's T-P, the approval of the project was announced. This was a happy anecdote to what was an otherwise odd day (incredibly beautiful weather, but then the news of the "Virginia Tech Massacre," which naturally rattled me and my office-mate... we see a lot of frayed nerves at school, post-K).

The modifications mentioned in the T-P piece are not nearly as radical as I'd thought they'd need to be given the way Holy Cross looks now: historic and very New Orleans (scrolly-shotguns and all), and the way the project looks:


(You can see the complete plans here.)

It's definitely going to stick out, but I say bring it on.

Now, if we could just get the go ahead from our friend Gavin the contractor, who's contemplating renovating "our" house. If he can't, I don't know what we will do, as the PRC has asked us to lose too much house for the cost. $130+ per square foot on the Other Side of the Industrial Canal is asking a lot--even for two young and energetic teachers.

Well, two young teachers, anyway.

Okay: young-ish.

No comments: