Saturday, August 30, 2008

If You Are Panicking...

We have been getting a lot of calls today. It seems many of you want to hear our plans. The problem is that our plans may not coincide with yours.

Yes, we are still waiting. Here's why:

  • We have already missed the window of opportunity for leaving without having to encounter massive traffic. (When I drove back from the Northshore, bumper-to-bumper evacuation traffic began at Franklin on the I-10/610 merge.)

  • We are not ready. Simon had to teach yesterday and we were unable to board up. We are boarding up now and clearing the yard. I have all of our papers together and I will pack this evening. We will then watch the latest coordinates at 7:00 and then make a decision about leaving. We will leave in the middle of the night--as in 3:00 a.m.-ish--if we decide that we do, indeed, need to leave.

We are not stupid. We are not irresponsible. We will leave if we think it best, and we will leave in time to avoid the possibility of being stopped by bad weather.

We understand there may have been a better way to deal with this Gustav-fucker. We understand that our plans may not comfort you. We are sorry that you are panicking. (Watching TV--the explosive graphics, well-chosen stories of heartache and fear, the use of extreme TV-lingo--it can inspire panic. It's why we are keeping it off until another storm update is to be aired.) Your panic, however, does not help us right now.

So please, please, please, know that we will take care of ourselves. We will call you with our plans--plans you may not approve of, but that will nonetheless be the result of a lot of thought and careful consideration.

In the meantime, please do not call to express your disapproval of our plans. Being here, knowing that we may lose our home, living through this again, and trying to do what we need to in order to be safe--and sane--is harder than I can express in words. Having to answer the phone--to stop boarding up, packing, assessing, and dealing with this--in order to provide you comfort does not help us. At. All.


Toccata said...

Heard you on the BBC. Take care and good luck. We're just really hoping that Gustav somehow spins out with a whimper and that you and everyone within your community stays safe.

Chris said...

I found your journal a while ago and of course I had to check to see how things were going as I watch the storm. I can't think of a more perfect time to get out of town then 3AM. Change your message to "i'll call you back tomorrow stuff to do right now". You'll have plenty of time even with traffic and from what i'm seeing on the news things seem to be alot more well organized. Hang in there and know the country is thinking of you. Chris

John said...

Just be sure to rescue the meat. I know you'll be okay and that Gustav will blow one way or another.

Anonymous said...

I have just seen you on the BBC in Turkey. Take care, I am thinking of you